Sunday, May 31, 2009

2 Days Old Update

So today (Sunday) we went back to visit Tyler in the NICU... and it looks like he might be staying there for a little while, unfortunately.

Overnight they had been keeping an eye on his blood oxygen levels and were trying to gradually decrease the pressure in his "space helmet" to see if he could handle breathing on his own... but he wasn't doing so well and the levels were starting to drop. So the doctors took off his space helmet and put him on a ventilator... he has a breathing tube down his throat as well as a feeding tube, and he also needs phototherapy light because he has high bilirubin levels which is causing his skin to be red all the time. (I'd explain what all of that means but I honestly don't fully understand... so if you're curious, Google it!) The good thing is that the ventilator will help take out a lot of the breathing work for him. His chest was pretty bad the day before, it looked like he was heaving and breathing very hard but now with the ventilator he is much more calm and looking better.

As of right now we still don't have any idea when he will be able to come home. It's so hard to go visit him for a couple hours and leave... and only be able to just touch his hand or lightly stroke his arm. Any more touching than that could cause him distress; we can't even pick him up to hold him yet. It's hard and disappointing, so many questions run through my mind like "what did I do wrong?" "Why does Tyler have to go through this?" and it especially hurts to see your own child lying there helpless and you can't even do anything to take away the pain. I never thought I could feel emotions this strong but they are here and they are real.

So all we ask is that everyone pray for Tyler, or if you aren't really the religious type just think happy thoughts and send positive energy his way. I hope he recovers quickly so he can come home and be with his family soon!

In other news... I'd like to say breastfeeding is becoming an interesting journey. :o) I wasn't sure I could do it, but I've amazed myself. (I haven't been able to feed Tyler from the breast yet, but I've been pumping and taking bottles to him which they give to him via his feeding tube.) The human body is an amazing thing. I'm still in shock over the past couple days. I'd like to apologize to everyone if I don't return any phone calls or messages on time; the well wishes and congratulations truly do mean a lot to Jon and myself though, and we greatly appreciate everyone's support. I read each and everyone's messages and am grateful to all of our friends and family for being here and standing by... we all thank you and please don't feel ignored. We'll be spending a lot of time visiting Tyler and being by his side 100% until he is strong enough to come out of the hospital.

2 comments:

  1. Get well Tyler!!!
    Love your BFF,
    Carson (and my mommy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry you can't bring him home yet. Don't think you did anything wrong, because you didn't. These things just happen sometimes. I will be praying for Tyler, I know he's going to be fine and hopefully you'll get to bring him home soon.

    PS - In case it doesn't show who I am, it's Katie, I'll add you on here once I post this. :)

    ReplyDelete